Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mast Step

The mast step was secured with six stainless steel machine screws. They were stuck fast and required a little persuading to be removed. We didn't want to contaminate the area with oils or solvents so we used a long screw driver and gently tapped the end of the screw driver with a plastic dead-blow hammer as we tried to turn the screw. We were able to turn the screw a quarter inch back and forth and continued using the hammer, gradually being able to turn the fastener back and forth more and more until it was removed. All six fasteners were removed in this manner. Once the fasteners were removed the fitting offered no resistance and was lifted off the deck. Under the fitting was a crumbled mess of some kind of old compound mixed with light corrosion from the fitting. The bottom of the fitting was in very good condition and the corrosion was very slight.


No comments: