Monday, March 31, 2008

Installing the Main Bulkheads

3M 5200 was used applied to the bulkhead / deck joint and Tyler helped me fit the bulkhead into place and secure it with wedges. It was tabbed to the hull stiffeners and left to cure.

The following weekend Noah helped me vacuum bag the starboard side forward hull stiffeners into place. We left it to cure for 24 hours and then installed the starboard bulkhead. While the tabbing cured we made foam spacers to fill the small gap we had deliberately left between the bulkhead and the hull to prevent cyclic fatigue. We mixed up some West System filleting compound and resin and and applied it to the joint. We used the curved end of the West System mixing sticks to shape it into a radius curve that the biaxial tabbing will be rolled onto.

No comments: